& Service -

Tailored To The Individual

Estate and Probate Administration

Independence, Missouri, Estate Probate Attorney

When a person dies, the assets in the estate must be collected and managed. Debts and taxes must be paid, and the balance of the estate distributed to those who are entitled to receive it. Mistakes can be costly, so it’s important to have an experienced attorney guide you.

At Grubb Law Firm, P.C., in Independence, Missouri, I offer a free initial consultation to answer your questions about probate. I represent clients from all over the United States who need assistance with a Missouri probate proceeding. In addition to personal representatives, administrators and executors, I represent beneficiaries who want to ensure that their interests are protected in the probate process. I also handle probate and estate litigation.

My work in the probate courts includes representation in guardianship proceedings to care for a minor or incapacitated adult and assistance in establishing conservatorships to manage the property and financial affairs of a minor or disabled adult.

Two Types Of Probate In Missouri

Probate is the process by which the court oversees the administration of a deceased person’s estate to ensure that any debts and taxes are paid, and that the assets are distributed to the beneficiaries as specified in the decedent’s will. If the person died without a will, assets are distributed according to Missouri’s laws of intestate succession.

If the value of the deceased person’s estate is less than $40,000, full probate administration is not required, and the estate may be settled through a summary proceeding. If the deceased person died with an estate valued at more than $40,000, a full probate proceeding is required. I assist clients with the summary administration of small estates as well as the full probate administration of larger estates.

Full probate takes a year or longer in Missouri. Summary proceedings, also known as small estate affidavits, can be completed in less than 60 days.

I also handle “Refusal of Letters” probate proceedings for spouses, beneficiaries, and creditors. For example, the spouse may file a refusal of letters to claim the spousal share of the estate rather than the amount stated in a will.

Many assets can be distributed without probate. For example, assets titled in a trust or distributed by beneficiary designation do not need to go through probate.

Estate Administration Attorney Serving Lee’s Summit And Jackson County

I offer a free initial consultation. To discuss your concerns with me, Independence, Missouri, estate probate lawyer Jeffrey A. Grubb, call 816-252-8848 or send me an email by completing the contact form on this website. I offer evening and Saturday appointments and accept all major credit cards.

Practice Areas

Bankruptcy Law


Personal Injury


Criminal Defense


Medicaid Planning


Estate Planning & Probate

Estate Planning
& Probate